The Seton Keough High School came into existence in September, 1988, with the merger of Seton High School and Archbishop Keough High School.
Seton Keough is named in honor of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton and Francis Patrick Keough, who was the Archbishop of Baltimore from 1947 to 1961.
Seton Keough builds on a tradition of Catholic education for young women in Baltimore. In 1865, the Daughters of Charity opened St. Joseph School of Industry at Carey and Lexington Streets. This first school trained needy girls between the ages of 12 and 21; they learned such trades as dressmaking, sewing, tailoring, stenography, and typing. In addition, they studied religion, composition, history, mathematics, and reading.
Saint Joseph School of Industry moved to a new location, at 28th and Charles Streets, in 1907. When it became apparent the Diocese needed a central high school, Archbishop Curley asked the Daughters of Charity to expand the school. In 1926, the name of the school was changed to Seton High School, and the curriculum changed to emphasize a strong academic and business program. The school flourished.
As enrollment at all Catholic high schools increased, by the mid-sixties it became evident a new school was needed on the southwest side of the city. The School Sisters of Notre Dame responded to this need, and in 1965, Sr. Mary Virginia Connolly became the founding principal of Archbishop Keough High School. The school was built on 30 acres of land on Caton Avenue, and was structured as an Archdiocesan High School . Archbishop Keough High added one grade a year; the first commencement took place in June, 1969. The school flourished; in 1987, it was named an exemplary school by the U.S. Department of Education.
Although both Seton and Archbishop Keough had enrollments exceeding 1100 in the mid-sixties, by the mid-eighties enrollment patterns had changed. In the summer of 1987, the boards of Archbishop Keough and Seton began to meet to explore the possibility of a merger. The need for a strong new school which combined the best of both schools--facilities, faculties, students, and equipment--to assure the future of Catholic secondary education for women in the Archdiocese of Baltimore became apparent. On June 15, 1988, after a year of joint planning, Seton High School moved out of its location on North Charles Street and into the Caton Avenue building with Archbishop Keough High School. The names of both schools changed to form The Seton Keough High School. The colors of both schools changed to green and gray: gray for the shared color, and green as a sign of hope for the future. The curriculum includes a dynamic college-preparatory curriculum in all academic subjects as well as the fine and performing arts, on levels including Advanced Placement, and Honors, and the Marillac Program for students with special needs.